Saturday, March 12, 2011

Saint Patrick's Day Fun

This is Grace's color sheet for Saint Patrick.  I touched it up some on the computer.  We had discussed how a lot of the stories about Saint Patrick are legends.  For instance, he didn't drive the snakes out of Ireland and while he could have used a shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity, there is no proof of this.  So I asked them to draw some symbols that are from the true story of Saint Patrick.  Grace came up with sheep, rain, chains, the shepherd's staff, and a slave boat.  If you aren't sure about the significance of these symbols.  I recommend the children's book Saint Patrick by Ann Tompert.  It isn't based on legends but rather on a letter written by Saint Patrick.  Isn't it amazing we have his actual writings?!
This is what Madison and I collaborated on together.  She drew the basic picture and then I helped her fine tune it on the computer.  The intent was to make a color sheet, but she added her color.  It's cute none the less, so I'm sharing. We are going to celebrate Saint Patrick's day with a small party.  I'm either going to go green and serve a green themed dinner or something Irish like stew.  We are going to have a green desert for sure.  I'll share that when I come to it.



2 comments:

  1. Very cute! Send me the color sheet, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace has your artistic abilities, Kate. How nice!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know that you're reading my posts. So please leave a comment!